Monday, December 16, 2013

The Week Ahead - December 16

Outside my window...36 degrees with a high of 42 today.  Forecast says Partly Sunny and Colder.  Sophia's going to need her fleece riding breeches today.
 
I am thinking...that Christmas is nine days away - yikes! 

I am thankful...that things are finally starting to calm down.

From the kitchen...something quick and easy after riding - Orange Chicken from BJs.

I am hearing...nothing and it's just what I need right now.
 
Always one of my favorite things...winning a prize - Vic scored an Xbox One at the command Christmas party last night.  We already have a Wii so we returned it for a store credit because we can't quite decide what to buy instead.

I am reading...still nothing, no time.  I received a package of Christmas magazines from my friend Dorothy in England which I promptly popped under the tree.  Can't wait for Christmas Day to enjoy them.

A Few Plans for the Rest of the Week...TOSA board holiday lunch today followed by Sophia's riding lesson, working half a shift at the Tidewater Collection tomorrow and then working again on Friday.  Time to start slowing things down and hopefully keeping it that way through 2014.

College Update...three of Sophia's grades are in - all As - she's just waiting for the final two.  She's back to planning to join us in Washington so she'll be finalizing her Western Washington University application over the holiday break.

Volunteer Update...pretty sure Ombudsman is off the table - thank goodness.

Travel and Family Field Trips Update...we headed up to Williamsburg yesterday for a browse through the Premium Outlets and then a stop at Merchants Square.  Lovely festive atmosphere everywhere.

My Favorite Things Party was a great success.  There were to be thirteen guests - two cancelled due to illness, one sent a message with another to say she was sick, and one was a complete no-show so we ended up with nine plus me.  The favorite things were very interesting although apart from the photo of mine above, I completely forgot to take any pictures!  Let's see if I can remember them all:
  • a box of Little Debbie Chocolate  Rolls + a $15 Dunkin' Donuts gift card
  • a bottle of Sangria with a starfish Christmas ornament
  • Ferrero Rocher chocolates and a bag of Bailey's chocolates
  • wine - Tangled-something, can't remember the name
  • a Christmas tub filled with a Terry's chocolate orange, chocolate-covered cherries and a multi-pack of Target holiday socks
  • a long flannel-covered corn kernel pack (similar to a cherry pit pack) that you heat in the microwave (or pop in the freezer) for aches and pains - this one had the extra advantage of a removable, washable cover
  • (mine) holiday hand towels, holiday tissue box, holiday hand soap dispenser and a holiday reverseable drying mat all on a round holiday tray
  • Harry and David Holiday Moose Munch tub
  • Beauty pack - eos lip balm, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polish, manicure nail file, thirty-one Wristlet Key Fob and a hair accessory
In addition, five of my guests brought hostess gifts so I also received two bottles of wine, a bag of Ghiradelli holiday chocolates, a candle with holiday napkins and matching coasters, and a gift set of two holiday hand soap dispensers - lovely!

The food was delicious, if I say so myself since I was the chef - four casserole recipes courtesy of good friends - Pretzel Bread and Kielbasa Breakfast Bake, Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole, Ham and Egg Casserole, and Orange French Toast Casserole along with fresh fruit and Pumpkin Bread.  We didn't end up breaking out the Mimosas after all - it was so cold that coffee was the drink of the day.  All in all, a lovely morning and a chance to meet two brand-new Mustang Spouses.

Leave a comment below if you'd like to share your Week Ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun gathering with lots of great food (I'm hungry just reading about it)! I hope I get to join you for this one of these years. :-)

    ReplyDelete