Friday, January 23, 2015

31 Day Blog Challenge: Day 23: Pet Peeves


My three biggest peeves come under the common courtesy category:

1.  RSVP  How difficult is it these days to shoot off a quick text, e-mail, tweet, or Facebook event response, or if you're not a fan of electronic media, a quick phone call or even a note in the mail?  Wouldn't you like to know if you need to cook or cater for 5 or for 50?  Of course you would.  Since when does a hostess have to chase down the invited to see if they are coming or not?  

2.  Show up  If you have sent an RSVP (good for you!), then bloody well be there unless you are dying.  OK, I know those emergencies come up (and it better be an emergency) so make sure that you can reach the hostess to give her a last minute cancellation but again, it had better be an emergency.  Deciding you just don't feel like going is downright rude.

3.  Send thank you notes  It's lovely to get a note in the mail after the aforementioned events for which you RSVP'd and showed up, but it's more important to send a thank you note when you have received a gift.  I prefer handwritten notes but I'd rather get an e-mail or text than nothing at all.  It's not that I'm looking for appreciation, it's acknowledgement.  Yes, you received the check I sent for your graduation or yes, you received the gift I sent for your birthday/Christmas/whatever.  I'm thrilled that you liked it, but I'm even more thrilled that it made it to its destination.  The number of things that get lost in the mail or stolen from the doorstep are alarming.

OK, rant over.  Let me show you the Pet Peeve of the Day (or it's actually ...of the last five months):


This is the view from my kitchen window and it is driving me bonkers.  I don't know what room this is in my neighbor-across-the-fence's house but can you please straighten the blind and do something about those curtains?  There is a light on in this room every night so you think they'd notice that things were askew?  Obviously not.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on every single one of these...sadly, we seem to be part of a shrinking contingent. Love the rant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word, that blind/curtain combo would drive me mad!
    And I'm totally in agreement on RSVPs, turning up and writing thank you cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for laughing about the blind...but I'm picturing you lurking near a hedge waiting for them to leave so you can break in and fix the blind and the curtain! At least that's what I would be fantasizing about if I lived next door to them. :)

    And I think one should follow up an invitation with an UNinvitation if no RSVP is received. 'Dear friend, due to the fact that we have not received a response to our invitation, we have made our menu and seating arrangements on the basis that the number for the gathering will not include you. We would still love for you to come, but you will be very hungry and thirsty while you wait in the other room for those who did rsvp to complete a fabulous repast.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Kathleen, I am in stitches at your comment - so hilarious! I haven't had a chance to go over to comment on your Five Things I Won't Miss post - I'm in Oregon for a horse show weekend and the Internet is wretched at the hotel (I know, such a first world problem). Will have to save it for when I get home. Have a great weekend.

      Delete