Thursday, April 16, 2015

N is for Neah Bay

Map of State Highway 112 and Neah Bay
Spanish explorers landed in Neah Bay in 1791, establishing a fort that lasted five months.  Today’s explorers can take in panoramas of Neah Bay Harbor, Vancouver Island, and the Strait of Juan de Fuca from Koitiah Point, three miles west of Neah Bay on State Highway 112.  Farther west is Cape Flattery, where a thirty-minute hike will bring you to the most northwestern point in the contiguous United States.

Neah Bay’s Native American heritage is preserved at the Makah Indian Reservation and headquarters.  Seasonal wildlife viewing opportunities abound on the reservation – eagles, falcons and hawks, grey whales and trumpeter swans – and there are excellent fishing opportunities in the bay.

I’m completely indebted to AAA’s Tour Book Guide – Washington for this information.  Again, another Washington destination on our list of places to explore.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that is someplace I'd find fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooooo dear Pamela! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I've been reading thru your posts and have learned a lot of things about you. Washington is one of my favorite places. My hubby worked out there for a little bit. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire all you gals that do the A-Z Blog Challenge. Not sure I could come up with 30 days worth of posts but looks like you are doing a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice place to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My niece just moved to Port Angles and I hope to visit her in the next year. This was a nice introduction.
    Visiting from the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting America is definitely on my bucket list. From A Brit! XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting America is definitely on my bucket list. From A Brit! XX

    ReplyDelete