Sunday, July 5, 2015

Christmas in July 2015 - Day Five

Here we go - Week Two - Vintage/Shabby Chic and I am so out of my comfort zone. First of all, I had to look up the definitions - what exactly do the terms mean? The easiest way to describe them, I think, is like this:

Vintage = old
Shabby Chic = something made to look old

Does that work for you?

I found that a lot of Shabby Chic is greatly influenced by not only ruffles, bows, and beads, but also rustication (another I know that's not a word but it's the perfect term!). You'll see what I mean as the week goes by.

Let's start off with the ruffles, bows, and beads.

m}pression
I had to laugh at part of the caption "If you have to spell it out with tiny cherubs and a white peacock, you’ve probably overdone it." Forgive me, but it looks like a cross between a Victorian Madam's receiving room and Scarlett O'Hara's boudoir! Overdone? Yep, that's the word for it.

Continuing on with a stocking for the mantel (although, honestly, where would you put it?).
Jenn Elise Rose
I suppose if you had a little girl who was all into ribbons and bows, this would be a nice gift. 

And finally for today, before we all go into a frill coma, a pretty selection of ornaments and pearl do-dads. Again, if girly-girl decor is your thing, go for it.

Also from Jenn Elise Rose
All tongue in cheek, of course, to each his/her own, I say.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, looks almost Victorian! Can't wait to see this week's posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki, researching Shabby Chic has been quite an education.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Vicki, I think this is Victorian...at least way too Victorian for me. Loved your 'overdone' observation, Pamela. :)

    I think of Shabby Chic more along these lines: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YrxJvNbaNec/TNflUPGnUfI/AAAAAAAABOQ/H68fLsu0vkc/s400/Living-room-Christmas-HTOURS1205-de-84402526.jpg You may have to copy and paste the address, not sure it will link.

    I think I would define Shabby Chic as using your old beloved items (or purchased primitives) and making them look as simply chic as possible...with the emphasis on simply. Ruffles, bows, and beads don't even enter into my idea of this. I guess you can call me a shabby chic minimalist. :)

    And to make this comment even longer, I love this topic, Pamela. You not only have me thinking about Christmas, but thinking about ways I can do things differently this year, and on a shoestring. I loved the gold/green yesterday, and today I had a great idea for an inexpensive and handmade way I can combine the gold/green with vintage.

    Are you tired of my comments yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with you, Kathleen, and that link you sent is definitely more of my idea of Shabby Chic and the next two days will move in that direction. I searched Shabby Chic on Pinterest and these frilly ideas were quite prominent, along with the more repurposed items that must fit into the Shabby Chic Minimalist definition.

    I am also thinking about things differently this year so exploring these themes has been very informative.

    Tired of your comments? Never! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like shabby chics but none of these pictures suit my style. I agree that they look Victorian more than shabby.

    ReplyDelete