Thursday, November 26, 2015

30 Days of Thankfulness - Days Twenty-Four through Twenty-Six - Surprise - Kindness - Music


I'm a bit behind - story of my life lately...

Day Twenty-Four - Surprise - I love surprises, especially those that have taken some thought and planning on the part of the surpriser. When we lived in Florida in the mid 1990s, Vic's ship was in dry dock in Charleston. He was there, without a car, I was in Florida, with a toddler. There was a duty van that brought sailors home for the weekend if they were able to get away but when you're in Engineering, there are very few times you are able to do that. It was a Saturday afternoon and we headed out to my friend Sindy's house for her son's birthday party. Imagine my surprise when her door opened and there was Vic! He had come home in the van, asked Sindy's husband to pick him up, and was waiting there for us when we arrived. It was a lovely surprise - wish I had a photo of my face when he opened the door.

Day Twenty-Five - Kindness - My Mum was the kindest person I have ever known. She was an amazing mother, grandmother, aunt and friend and so much more…a child in Post-Great War England, a Land Girl during World War II who went on to work for NAAFI (Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes), first in Egypt and then in Paris, France where she met and married her American GI. Countless trips back and forth across the Atlantic and two daughters later, she spent her golden years enjoying the English countryside, retracing her roots, and holding hands with the man who would be by her side until the very end, 47 years later. Kindness was her greatest virtue; she always had a kindly word for people and animals alike, she was a firm believer that a pot of tea would make any situation better, and we, those who loved her, miss her terribly. Good night and God bless, Mum, you’re forever in our hearts (taken from my Facebook post on what would have been her 87th birthday).

Day Twenty-Six - It's Thanksgiving morning and my family are still blissfully asleep. I am thankful that we are all together, that we have a warm home and food on the table, all that we need and a little extra to share with those less fortunate. Being thankful makes me think of one of my favorite songs - I love worship music and truly feel most filled the the spirit when I listen to music. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment