Tuesday, February 2, 2016

If this is Tuesday, it must be England #33


Egerton House Hotel, Bolton

I've never been to the Egerton House Hotel but it has a special place in my heart because on February 17, 1994, Dad and Mum took four guests out to brunch to celebrate the arrival of their grandchild - Sophia. Dad sent me the receipt to keep in Sophia's Baby Book - under Company Name it says "To celebrate Sophia's birth" and then it lists the guests "Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie Dado (Mum's sister), Uncle Tom (Mum's cousin), Auntie Edna (Tom's wife), and Uncle Fred (Mum's cousin). How I wish I had a photo of the six of them on this occasion. Sadly, all except Uncle Tom are gone now.

I've saved Egerton House Hotel in My Favorites for years, thinking that one day, on a trip to England, we'll go for a meal and raise our glasses in a toast, as was done on February 17, 1994 to celebrate our new arrival. Sadly, it appears that the hotel is no longer in operation. That makes me want to visit all the more to see what now stands in its place.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Pamela, just checking in on you since you haven't posted in awhile. For some reason some of my favorite blogs aren't popping to the top of 'My Blog List' list when they update, so it seemed even a longer time than it was, and I'm caught up now. Good wishes coming your way! :) Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen, it's been a bit chaotic here but I am determined to get back on track this weekend. Thanks for still reading...even when there isn't a lot to read!

      Delete