Monday, October 2, 2017

Happy Homemaker Monday 10/2/2017


It's time for another Happy Homemaker Monday with Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  Click here if you'd like to join in .

The weather:::

Hey Virginia, it's OCTOBER!!  82, 83, 84 degrees is a no-no.

On my reading pile:::
I decided to go back and read An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling, the prequel to the Red River of the North series.

On my TV:::
Outlander, Season 3, on STARZ
Finished up Cadfael on BritBox, starting on Sharpe and Bramwell
Doc Martin, Season 8, on Acorn
Poldark on PBS

On the menu for this week:::

Monday - Colcannon with Bangers
Tuesday - Salmon, Roasted Potates, Zucchini with Artisan Tomato Saute
Wednesday - Tilapia with something
Thursday - Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad
Friday - Stuffed Pork Chops (not sure what I'll stuff them with yet - any gluten-free, dairy-free ideas?)
Saturday - Flank Steak, Mushrooms, Baked Potatoes
Sunday - Balsamic Glazed Chicken, Tomato Salad, Zucchini

We had three recipes from Green Chef and although the service won't work for us (full review up on Wednesday), I'm going to try to recreate a couple of them.

On my to-do list:::
  • Mail Sophia's fall care package
  • Coffee with a friend from Washington who now lives in Florida and who is in town for a few days
  • Ongoing search for a cup and saucer for the Tea Cup & Mug Exchange
  • Hair appointment to get my bangs trimmed
  • Sitting in on a board meeting for our spouses' group President
  • Manicure
  • Working the morning shift at the gift shop - it's the Holiday Extravaganza so all of the Christmas merchandise will be revealed
  • Going to see Victoria & Abdul at the movies
  • Spouses' group field trip to the Glass Studio at a local art museum followed by lunch
  • Prep items to take to the consignment shop on Saturday when Vic is home to carry them!
  • Ornament Debut Event at Hallmark - time to pick up my October ornaments
  • Continuing on with the Holiday Grand Plan - it's Kids' Rooms week so that will be the Craft Room for me

I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted just reading this list!

What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
Oh, dear, no change from last week - Disney Album all laid out - journaling is next.  Still waiting for all the supplies to make cards for the Magical Holiday Home Forums exchange and my Sisterchicks.  Found a Christmas scarf half knitted in a basket so I'll add that to my Rudolph Day list.  It's red, white, and green.

Looking around the house:::
Laundry, sticking to the daily housekeeping plan.

From the camera:::



This is Beef Bulgogi from our Lunch Bunch goes Korean lunch last week - Bulgogi means thinly-sliced and the beef is cooked with onions, carrots, and seasonings.  It wasn't too spicy which is how I like things.  I was served with white rice and (insert drum roll) I managed to eat the whole meal with chopsticks without dropping any of the food on the table, myself, or the floor!  Makes my Mum's mantra of "Eat slowly" so much easier.

Something fun (or intriguing) to share:::


Does anyone know how you would use this cup part of the spoon?  I would say maybe for a tea bag but the whole thing seems to date from the pre-tea bag era and it seems too large to be a measuring cup for loose tea.  A friend found it in the gift shop at the Biltmore and the shop assistant wasn't able to tell her how it was used.

What I'm wearing today:::
A summer dress because fall still hasn't come to Virginia!

5 comments:

  1. Have no idea about the cup part of the spoon but I LOVE LOVE that spoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure on the spoon either. Cream or sugar for coffee? Reading your super long to-do list makes me appreciate having a week (maybe) to just breathe over here. By the way, I think I'd stuff the pork chops with some sort of apple and maybe nut mixture. Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've got a busy, but exciting, week ahead! I so want to see Victoria and Abdul. I need to see if it's playing in our area yet. Judy Dench does a great job with whatever role she's playing. Did you see Mrs. Brown? She played the rold of Queen Victoria in that movie, as well, and did a great job. This one looks like about the same caliber. Have a great week ahead and Happy October! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee scoop with attached spoon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Godinger-5052-BAROQUE-COFFEE-SCOOP/dp/B001AS194W/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1507086777&sr=8-89&keywords=coffee+spoon+scoop

    Pretty, but I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this design.

    ReplyDelete